These are my memories, my dreams, of you and me*

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas memories*

T'was the night before Christmas... 
(My memories of today - as a list!) 

  1. Whistling Christmas carols and dancing around the kitchen.
  2. Doors thrown wide open, summer sunshine streaming in, a cool breeze blowing.
  3. Helping my mom cook the most elaborate and scrumptious Christmas feast - heaps upon heaps of delectable goodness - learning how to cook the meals that I will one day be making for my family :)
  4. Putting our feet up, sneaking in some chocolate, while our mouths water over Nigella and Jamie on the tellie. 
  5. Fingers stained with berry juice, licking sticky, sugary caramel, creamy custard and mounds of whipped cream (making a summer trifle!) 
  6. Attempting to stuff more "stuff" in already packed fridges... 
  7. Wishing friends "A very Merry Christmas!" - spreading the cheer! 
  8. A thousand twinkling fairy lights and a million candles scattered across the room*
  9. Red and gold, deep purple and silver. 
  10. Busyness, busyness, busyness!!! Running around here and there and everything - doing so much, yet at the same time doing nothing in particular at all.
  11. Thinking how strange it has been to spend half of my Christmases throwing snowballs, cuddling by a roaring fire, trying to dry out wet mittens, baking chocolate chip cookies and shopping up a spree of magical presents, while the other half have been spent lazy and warm, swimming at the beach, watching the sunset late at night, drinking champagne and ice tea. 
  12. Hearing my mother shout into the phone, wishing all our German family a  "Frohe Weihnachten" - loving my family heritage and traditions.
  13. My father reading the birth narrative. 
  14. Food! Turkey, glazed gamon, roasted lamb, Mediterranean couscous salad, potato, green and pasta salads, fresh bakery breads with soft cheeses, nutty, herby stuffing, cranberries and apple sauce, chocolate fudge sauce drizzled over New York cheesecake, sweet and tart berry trifle, sweet, sparkling drinks.....  
  15. Ripping open beautiful wrapped gifts - excitement! 
  16. Surrounded with the most incredible family and friends <3
  17. Late night phonecalls with my person (liefde!) 
  18. Thinking that all the hard work, all the hours, all the effort was beyond worthwhile :)
  19. Falling exhausted into bed, a smile on my face, my heart stirred with memories, my dreams full of hope and happiness, thinking about tomorrow.... Christmas day!

No comments:

Post a Comment