These are my memories, my dreams, of you and me*

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Flower picking


Do I really live in such a beautiful place? Yes! When my dad was offered the position of teaching at the Bible Institute of South Africa he always says, "They said there was no pay, but I said, 'There is a view of the ocean - we'll take it!'" And on stunning, sunny days like these, it is only the greatest pleasure living in Kalk-Bay :)


After dancing, Ray and I went walking along the mountainside with the dog, admiring the natural beauty quietly surrounding us. I laughed as I watched Ray throw sticks for Nao to chase after, disappearing into the tall, swaying grasses, my clothes getting caught on thorned berry bushes, their grey-green velvety leaves brushing against my legs, red-tipped succulents and aloes underfoot. 


The Spring flowers are in full bloom and I was desperate to capture but a glimmer of their bright, brilliantly coloured petals and vibrant promises of Summer, but I had no camera! I started by picking a single flower, one that I could not resist to enjoy, and before I knew it I had handfuls of flowers!! 


Standing on the top of the mountain, overlooking the bay, wrapped in Rays arms, I could only feel happiness. But soon I was stumbling over rocks, trailing behind Ray and Nao, searching for precious fynbos to add to my collection, suddenly aware of the magnificence of God's glorious creation, how each and every flower is so intricately designed, some so tiny, yet rich in detailed colour, unique in textures, sweetening the air with their own fragrances, the bees buzzing about... 


After I arranged my treasures into vases, bringing joy to the kitchen table, Ray and I sat outside, him with his coffee and me with my tea, having a late (well actually second) breakfast. Oh how I love these lazy moments! 

I hope that you all too have a lovely day and notice the beauty of all the little things around you, remembering the One who made them all.


No comments:

Post a Comment