These are my memories, my dreams, of you and me*

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Italy's romance

"To live in Venice or even to visit it, means that you fall in love with the city itself. There is nothing left over in your heart for anyone else." 

{Peggy Guggenheim}



A week ago my lovely best friend returned from an Italian adventure, visiting Rome, Florence and Venice. (What a fairytale!) I have loved pouring over the photographs of pretty girls eating exquisite flavours of gelato, wandering through ancient ruins, in the shadow of the Colosseum, the master carved marbled statues, Basilicas, glowing Trevi fountain, the tolling belltowers and balconies, wax dripping from thousands of lit candles, the cobbled alleyways, the water lapping against the stoned canals,  the famed gondolas, the markets they visited, the pasta and pizza... to experience the history, the culture, the people, the beauty, the food (groans)... all such a dream!! 

Yesterday, while studying, I devoured what my sister called "real" chocolate, that my best friend brought back from Italy for me (I even managed to share some!) and today wore the beautiful scarf she spoiled me with - so soft and richly coloured - keeping me warm against the blustering wind. 

I have been delighting in my own, distant Italian memories, like one remembers a treasured romance. One day, I would love to return with Ray, to uncover the city secrets, to explore another time, and together fall in love. 


No comments:

Post a Comment