These are my memories, my dreams, of you and me*

Friday, July 13, 2012

a walk



I woke up to gentle winter sunshine filtering across the grey sky and stormy ocean.

Me: Love, rain has been forecast... are you sure we should go walk the dog?

R: Yes, it will be fine :)

Me: (Looks up at the ominously gathering, thick, dark clouds - seriously, you would've thought that we were smarter than that!)

And we were off. When the howling wind was so bitterly icy and painfully cutting we should've realized that this wasn't our greatest idea...

Me: Ahhh - I can't feel my face! And my ears are aching... (Right now you are probably shouting, "Turn back, turn back!")

But, of course, we carried on. The rain started to pour soon afterwards. We threw our hoods over our heads, clutched them with our numb fingers to keep them on, and started to run. The wind was frightfully strong that at one point we had to struggle to keep moving forward (all I could hear was my own gasping breath as we stumbled along the rocky path). I didn't even last for a minute running, and so we had to walk all the way back in the rain. The dog was shaking and we were shivering.  

As we arrived home, dripping and frozen, the rain began to ease, and behind the clouds I could see the faint glow of the sun. Now huddled under piles of blankets, after a scalding hot shower and into warm (dry!) pyjama's  (and my favourite socks) exhaustingly clutching a mug of hot chocolate, we are laughing about it! I can smile because we will never forget that absolutely horrible, yet wonderful, walk... 

R: So, are we going on a walk tomorrow?

Me: (Gives him just one look)


No comments:

Post a Comment